Friday, August 22, 2014

Slavery.

The word "slavery" brings up many different images to different people.  My recent research on the BDSM community (remember, I'm the girl with the psych degree that is fascinated by people and what makes them tick), the Master/slave relationship has befuddled me.  In my research, I have met a few people in the lifestyle and have proceeded to pick their brains.  One gentleman, in particular, has shared a wealth of knowledge and experience with me.  As I was teasing him a bit about his preference for slaves over submissives (in a nutshell, submissives have more negotiating power in a relationship than slaves do), I mentioned that I didn't think I could ever be a slave because I have too much of a backbone.  After I said that, I apologized because it made it sound like I thought slaves were weak. That wasn't my intention.  No harm, no foul.  However, as I was driving to my appointment today, it struck me.  I HAVE been a slave.  I was a slave to my addictions for years.  Whatever my addiction required of me, I did.  Usually without hesitation.  I jumped through hoops, degraded myself, manipulated others, lied, stole, cheated, you name it, I did it.  All because my addictions told me to.  I'm not saying I could ever function as a Master's slave, but I certainly can't say I've never been one.

Seriously, humans fascinate me.  Oh, and just so I've said it, please please please don't comment with a tirade about the BDSM lifestyle.  As I said, this was for research purposes because I am easily bored and like to learn about new things.  No need to lecture me.  Ok?  Thanks. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment