Monday, February 3, 2014

The effect of an addict's death comes in many forms.

I have a confession to make.  Not a funny confession, but an serious as it gets confession.  Friday night I stumbled across a new type of mixed alcoholic drink on facebook.  Saturday morning, I looked up their website and saw all of the yummy concoctions they make.  Saturday evening, still enamored with these drinks, I sent emails to Boss and Sidekick telling them that we NEED to sell these concoctions in our liquor store.  Saturday night I was fully intending to try all  7 flavors once we got them at the store.

Did you read that?  I FULLY INTENDED TO DRINK EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THAT DRINKING WILL BURN MY LIFE TO THE GROUND AND TAKE AWAY EVERYTHING I LOVE.

Why would I be willing to risk that? Because I'm the type of alcoholic that can talk herself into things.  I can talk myself into things that I KNOW are absolute bullshit.  I talked myself into fully believing, without a shadow of a doubt, that I would drink one of each of the 7 flavors and that would be it.  I just wanted to TRY them.

On Sunday I heard about Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  On Sunday, I remembered that I really AM an alcoholic and even THINKING about drinking is like playing with fire.  It took the DEATH of a man I've never met, a fellow addict, to stop the bullshit playing in my head trying to convince me that "I'll be FINE" is the same lie it has always been.

We walk over the bodies in recovery, devastated to see the disease claim another person, but rejoicing that for one more day, it wasn't us.

2 comments:

  1. My husband is a recovering alcoholic, he stopped drinking in June and every day is a struggle and always will be but our relationship, his relationship with our kids and even his personality is so much better! Congrats to you for resisting, remember you're stronger than you know! The news about Philip Seymour Hoffman struck me, too. I realized he had been sober for 23 years before he gave into temptation, there's no expiration on this demon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I'm so glad your husband is doing well. You are right, there is no expiration on this demon, but thankfully recovery gives us a way to keep the demon in check one day at a time.

      Love and light to your family. <3

      Delete