Monday, February 13, 2012

The Incongruency of My Life (Part2)

So I've got these two daughters.  Only in a universe with a twisted sense of humor would I end up with DAUGHTERS.  Sons I would have known what to do with.  Little drama, little whining, more anger and rough-housing.  Those I can handle.  When boys are mad at each other, they duke it out and get over it.  Not girls.  Drama, tattling, whining, etc.  What the hell do I do with that?  My instinct is to shut 'em down as fast as possible.  I'm trying to pick my battles and only intercede when necessary or when I just can't take the bitching any more. :-)

So here I am, a recovering misfit who has come to a disturbing revelation over the last few weeks.

I AM UNDISCIPLINED.  In every way, shape, and manner.  Unfortunately I think that makes me a child in an adult's body.  Not childLIKE, but A child.  Undisciplined as in I do housework only when absolutely necessary.  Clean laundry stays in the baskets until we've worn most of them and need the basket for dirty laundry.  Dishes get rinsed (some times) and piled in the sink until there are no spoons or cereal bowls.  Then they're loaded in the dishwasher, where most get used before it's emptied.  You certainly won't see me on Hoarders, but if there was a show for a single mom with too much to do and not enough motivation to do it, I'd be all over that.

So how does one go about learning self-discipline?  I have tried snapping my fingers, but nothing came of it.  I'm afraid I may have to do this the hard way.  A step at a time.  Baby steps.  Perhaps start with 1 chore that I do every day now matter what.  Which one to pick?  Not a crappy one.  I don't want to do that.  Blech!  That's the crux of the problem...a circular problem.  Not motivated to do anything, so don't do anything, and nothing gets done, therefore overwhelmed by all the things undone, and then paralyzed into not doing a damn thing.

Here you go.  Here's your free pass to tell me what to do (as long as you realize that I may or may not take heed).  What do YOU do to keep yourself disciplined?

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any kids of my own but I do enjoy spending as much time with my nieces and nephews as possible. Great thing about the discipline part is, when it's needed, I can just give em back ,)

    ReplyDelete